Jack was a young sailor. He lived in England, but he was often away with his
One summer he came back from a long voyage and found new neighbours
near his mother’s house. They had a pretty daughter, and Jack soon loved her
He said to her, ‘My next voyage will begin in a few days’ time, Gloria. I love
you, and I’ll marry you when I come back. I’ll think about you all the time, and
I’ll write to you and send you a present from every port.’
Jack’s first port was Freetown in Africa, and he sent Gloria a parrot from
there. It spoke five languages.
When Jack’s ship reached Australia, there was a letter from Gloria. It said,
‘Thank you for the parrot, Jack. It tasted much better than a chicken.’
A. Answer these questions.
- Why did Jack make long voyages?Jack makes long voyages because he was a sailor.
- Where did Gloria live?Gloria lived in England.
- Why did Jack think about Gloria all the time? Jack think about Gloria all the time, because he loved her.
- Where did Jack send Gloria the parrot from? Jack sent Gloria the parrot from Aferica.
- Where did Jack get Gloria’s letter about the parrot? Jack got Gloria’s letter from Australia.
- What did Gloria do to the parrot?Gloria eat the parrot.
- B. Which words in the story on page 4 mean the opposite of: 1. Short — long 2. last — first 3. Ugly — pretty 4. Old — young 5. Little — very much 6. Wine — 7. Worse — better
- C. Write this story. Put one word in each empty place. You will find all
the correct words in the story on page 4.
Freetown is a port in West Africa. Jack and another man from his ship
went into a shop there and saw a beautiful bird. It was a red and grey and blue.
it said ‘Hullo,’ to them. Jack said to his friend, ‘I’m going to send it to Gloria.
She’s the daughter of my mother’s neighbour It will be a nice present for her,’ Then
Jack and his friend went to a restaurant and ate chicken and fried potatoes there.They tastes very good.